RSS

a meaningful story..


A story from my colleague (now x-colleague), Phang, in his farewell note to us, he shared a story that he found had a lot of meaning for him and hopes it has the same effect for us too…so I’m sharing this with all here…

The Bamboo and the Fern
-------------------------------------


There was once a man who got so sick of life, he quit his job, severed all relationship ties and headed into the woods for one last reflection.

There he saw a meditating wise man and told him why he was there.

"Can you give me one good reason not to quit?" the man asked.

The wise man responded to his question with another question, "Look around… Do you see the fern and the bamboo?"

"Yes", the man replied.

The wise man continued, "When I planted the fern and the bamboo seeds, I took very good care of them. I gave them light. I gave them water. The fern quickly grew from the earth. Its brilliant green covered the floor. Yet nothing came from the bamboo seed. But I did not quit on the bamboo.

On the second year the fern grew more vibrant and plentiful. And again, nothing came from the bamboo seed. But I did not quit on the bamboo.

On the third year, there was still nothing from the bamboo seed. But I did not quit. On the fourth year, yet again nothing came out from the bamboo seed. But I did not quit.

Then on the fifth year, a tiny sprout emerged from the earth. Compared to the fern it was small and insignificant. But just six months later, the bamboo rose to over 100 feet tall. It had spent the last four years growing roots. Those roots made it strong and gave it what it needed to survive.

All this time that you have been struggling, you have actually been growing roots. The growth of the bamboo was no magic. Yet it towers above the fern in the end. Don't compare yourself to others.

The bamboo has a different purpose from the fern. But together they both make the forest beautiful.

The wise man then looked pointedly at the man and said, "Your time will come. Take your roots and you shall rise high just like the bamboo."

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments: